7101 w Gunnison St Suite 126
Chicago, IL 60706 US
Mon - Sat 9:00AM - 5:00PM
67 in Chicago
No products in the cart.

Processing your property claim after suffering a loss.

How to recover from a Fire, Water, Mold, and Wind Damage.


The 1st Action In assisting you with your Claim is to Review and understand your Policy, and the 2nd is to review if your policy is written either as a Replacement Cost and or an Actual Cash Value: Replacement cost policies provides you with the dollar amount needed to replace a damaged item with one of a similar kind and quality without deducting for depreciation (the decrease in value due to age, wear and tear, and other factors). Actual cash value policies pay the amount needed to replace the item minus depreciation.

Suppose, for example, a tree fell through the roof onto your eight-year-old washing machine. With a replacement cost policy, the insurance company would pay to replace the old machine with a new one. If you had an actual cash value policy, the company would pay only a part of the cost of a new washing machine because a machine that has been used for eight years is worth less than its original cost.

Extended and Guaranteed Replacement Cost: If your home is damaged beyond repair, a typical homeowner’s policy will pay to replace it up to the limits of the policy. If the value of your insurance policy has kept up with increases in local building costs, a similar dwelling can generally be built for an amount within the policy limits.

With an extended replacement cost policy your insurance company will pay a certain percentage over the limit to rebuild your home — 20 percent or more, depending on the insurance company; so that if building costs go up unexpectedly, you will have extra funds to cover the bill. A few insurance companies offer a guaranteed replacement cost policy that pays whatever it costs to rebuild your home as it was before the disaster. But neither type of policy will pay for more expensive materials than those that were used in the structure that was destroyed.

Your Local Agent will be able to assist in providing you with the proper coverage and or extra coverage you may need. Please review all our preferred agents.

Regardless of the circumstances that started the Fire, Flood, or Catastrophe our professionals are trained to remediate a loss and restore the property to its original state with added city code elements that might bring extra value to your existing property in return turning a catastrophe into a blessing as quickly as possible with minimum disruption.

It’s important to have a plan.  When choosing a contractor, you must have a plan to start, and by choosing Am-Cat we offer clients action plans from start to finish on any loss derived from a coverable peril.  Once a property / building is retained, a project manager / GC elected will survey the job with the building owner and go over the scope of work before signing off on the repairs to commence.  The insurance company’s estimate is usually negotiated but not finalized depending on how the policy is written. Am-Cat professionals understand the importance of writing addendums in order to communicate properly to the insurance company when restoring the building through the provisions of the policy on the property.


Am-Cat is a Full-Service Restoration Company

We create a detailed Timeline in giving you a Step-By-Step understanding of the complete process in restoring your property after suffering a loss.  Generally, the first obstacle is dealing with your insurance company’s requirements by filling out forms with your city or township that your property resides in, from scheduled Tax and Demo forms to be signed by city officials to dealing with an engineer and or an architect to address structural issues and to put together plans or engineering reports. Second obstacle would be submitting plans to your city and or township for approval.

Starting Phase I, the first thing to establish is the damage assessment by negotiating the cost of repairs. Our second priority is to select a mechanical engineer and or the architect that will produce the plans to be submitted to the building department. The city’s planning and building department will process the submitted plans for approval. Most cities require 2-3 weeks and at times 2-3 months to review plans before approving them. Am-Cat retains pre-certified architects in cities that offer this fast track in expediting the time element.  After reviewing the proposed plans, the city will either release them as approved and issue a permit or release them for corrections, at which point the architect will make the necessary changes and resubmit the plans for approval.

  • Damage assessment negotiation with the insurance company (2-3 months)
  • Administrative (permits and plans) (1-2 months)
  • Demolition (full tear out & clean -up) (2-4 weeks)
  • Rough carpentry (leveling floors, framing walls, installing headers for doors and windows and roofs) (2-3 weeks)


After the plans are approved, the superintendent will fill out the paperwork required to obtain a building permit from the city and pay the appropriate fees for the required inspections, namely, building, electrical, plumbing and HVAC, unless there’s additional work like porches, decks, garages and pick up the approved plans and permit. These are items that will be needed when inspections are called for by the city inspectors.  With the approved plans and permit, the project manager can start your project. Usually at this time, the superintendent and or GC performs his job by walking through with the owner and discusses the action plan and scheduling the start of the work to be completed based off the agreed scope of work.